Today we are traveling from Europe to Asia to unpack our suitcases in a country with the 2nd largest population (fyi: number of people) in the world! In fact, 1 out of every 5 people in the world live in this country, the Himalaya Mountains run through it, and its national symbol is the Bengal Tiger. We have arrived in India.
1. Size: 1,269,800,359 Square Miles (about the size of Alaska, Texas & California combined)
2. Population: 1,220,800,359 (Yes, you are reading correctly, that is over 1.2 billion people.)
3. Capital City: New Delhi
4. Religion: Hinduism 74.33%, Christians 5.84%, Evangelicals 2.2%
5. Currency: Indian Rupee (INR)
6. Languages: Constitutionally 22 official languages. The main ones are Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, Marathi, Tamil and Urdu. English is a subsidiary official language. Learn some phrases in Hindi by watching this 2 minute video.
7. Popular Sites To Visit: Taj Mahal, Varanasi, Ajanta Caves, Jaisalmer, Harmandir Sahib, Kanha National Park
8. Largest Mountain Range: The Himalayas
9. National Symbol: Bengal Tiger
10. Mahatma Ghandi is famous because of the important role he played in gaining India’s independence.